Thursday, March 12, 2009

March 12, 2009 "Soul Food"

Soul Food

Thursday mornings at 9:00 I go to church. Each week, our congregation gives groceries to those in need. Since the need is so great, we ask that people come once a month. Just before the food distribution we worship.

The people who come for food are not obligated to come to worship, and they don’t get more food for coming to worship. But about half the people for food do. They come an hour earlier, to go to church before waiting for their turn to get groceries.

About three months after arriving at Christ Church, I began to see people that I’d seen the week before. I asked them, “Did you get mixed up? Weren’t you here last Thursday for food?” “Yes, Padre” one man said. “I’m not due for groceries for another three weeks. But this Thursday I need groceries for my soul.”

Lent is a good time to remember that much of the world lives on less than a dollar a day. If we give up a coke, a cup of coffee, a half a gallon of gas, and give it to hunger relief, we can literally double someone’s livelihood somewhere in the world.

Lent is a good time to remember that the world cannot live on bread alone. If I give up 1 coke, a cup of coffee, a half gallon of gas, and give it support missions, I may be giving someone the bread of eternal life.

John 5:24 (Jesus said) Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life. 25'Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

No comments:

Post a Comment