Thursday, April 21, 2011

The problem of good again....

Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
Oh - oh - oh - oh...
Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?

Passover, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Earth day tomorrow. Lots happening on the calendar.

This Lenten Blog started with something I called "The problem of Good". Why is there so much goodness in the world?

It was one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis who first helped me realize that there is no such thing as "pure badness" or "pure evil."  He noted that all evil and all bad are themselves corruptions of the good they were meant to be.  And even the worst of beings have attributes and qualities that are good. They have just been perverted.

Thus we call tomorrow "Good Friday" when it probably deserved a title like "Bloody Friday" or "Torture Friday". 

How does such a gruesome event get a title like that?  If it were cynical we could understand. But Christians don't seem to be using cynicism when they call it good.

In a stunning reversal, instead of the firstborn of Egypt dying, the firstborn of God dies on behalf of all who face with certainty the angel of death. And death becomes forevermore the slave of God, no more the ultimate end, only the beginning of something unimaginably glorious.

Sometimes it causes me to tremble...

No comments:

Post a Comment