Monday, April 18, 2011

The Fisherman

Years ago on a very hot summer day, some friends and I who worked for a contractor, ended up having the afternoon off. It was a Friday, and the home was between Giddings and Brenham, Texas. We grabbed some things to eat and drink and went up to Lake Summerville.

On a dare, two of us swam across what seemed to be a fairly narrow part of the lake. However, after about 40 minutes of swimming we could no longer tell which shore was closer and we were pretty tired. So we continued toward the far side, which seemed just a bit closer. 

Thankfully a bass fisherman who wasn't catching anything saw us as we neared that far shore. He motored out to us.


"Are you boys crazy, that's near a mile swim! You want a ride back?"  
"Yes, please." we gasped.
We climbed into the boat with that far shore just a hundred yards away and headed back.

From St. Paul's letter to the Philippians, Chapter 3 verse 10
"I want to know Christ
and the power of his resurrection 
and the sharing of his sufferings
by become like him in his death, 
if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead." 

I do want to know Christ, the power of his resurrection, and attain the resurrection from the dead. But the suffering and death part I want to avoid. Yet death is coming for me sooner or later. The only question is how will I have lived. 

Following Christ is like that foolish swim across the lake. It is exciting and fun at first, and then it becomes downright hard, and sometimes dangerous. But the truth is that there is a fisherman on the lake of life who will ferry me when it gets too hard. His boat may keep me on this side of life for now, but there will come a day when I will head with him to the far shore.

We do not do this alone. Come Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment