Thursday, March 24, 2011

Metaphorical Water

The last really good rain was in September. That month we got almost five inches of rain. Then the totals for October, November, and December were all zero. In January we got a bit over an inch. February and March so far are both at zero again. 

Even in this part of South Texas which is dry, we are dryer than usual.

When you listen to ranchers you hear all kinds of one liners about the need for water.

"It’s so dry here the all the fish have ticks.
It’s so dry the Red Cross has launched a wet blanket appeal.

It’s so dry that the trees are whistlin’ for the dogs.
It’s so dry the Red Cross has launched a wet blanket appeal."

Partly because it is so dry, I've been thinking about the Gospel for this coming Sunday, which starts with a conversation about water, while Jesus is sitting by himself at the side of a well. The story takes up most of the fourth chapter in the Gospel of John.

It is a wonderful, funny story about Jesus and a woman from Samaria.

But I've been thinking about one verse for many days now.  Verse 13 reads:  Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Is that my experience as a Christian? Do I find myself overflowing with the metaphorical water of God's life and love?  And is that what most Christians experience?

My suspicion is that it is only an occasional experience for most of us, including people like me. So I am praying for some metaphorical hydrological wisdom as we go forward this Lent.

More reflections tomorrow and the rest of the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment