Monday, March 21, 2011

Perspective

John 4:34,35 Jesus said to them, 'My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work. Do you not say, "Four months more, then comes the harvest"? But I tell you, look around you, and see how the fields are ripe for harvesting."

Jesus has just finished talking with a woman. A stranger, a foreigner, a lady whose life was a complete mess.

And what does he say to the disciples. "Wow! Isn't this exciting. The harvest is ready...it's time to bring in the crop."

What's he talking about. Obviously not agriculture. His encounter with the Samaritan woman has given him new energy.

The disciples could only see the Samaritans as half breeds, foreigners, dangerous people. But Jesus could see people valuable to God.

Channel flipping I happened to catch a small part of the 2009  movie "The Blind Side" .  Based on the true story of Michael Oher, the films power is in showing that no person is disposable.

Jesus saw how valuable that messed up Samaritan woman was to God and spent an afternoon talking with her, and brought her to faith.

Who are the people I think are disposable? When I look at homeless people, illegal people, jailed people, etc. do I see a harvest like Jesus sees?  It's only a matter of perspective. I hope I learn to have his.

No comments:

Post a Comment